Sunday 3rd April 2016
Next Weeks theme: Speak Out
Focus Scripture: Acts 5:27-32
Other Readings: Psalm 118:14-29; Revelation 1:4-8 John 20:19-31
Prayer Points:- Please pray for: Little Cubs Kindy for more children (thanks because they have had 3 new enrolments, but need at least 12 more children. Margaret Morrison with her recurring illness.
ROSTERS:- Over the months of June July August and September we will be on average 8 people down every week for the rosters. If you would be able to help in all areas of the rosters, Reading, Intersessions, Communion Serving, Projector, Ushering, Welcome Desk and more could you please contact me as soon as possible so I am able to place you with another member for a couple weeks of training. Thank you very much Jeannine.
Entertainment books:- We are going to try and sell these again this year. Can I please have an expression of interest in the new 2016/2017 books which will be available after 7 April. Thank you Jeannine
Income Tax Receipts
After today (Sunday 27 March) we will be issuing receipts to enable persons who give through Envelopes or by Direct Credit to claim their Income Tax rebate. If you are not in the system and missing out on the rebate please talk to Bob Williamson or Brannie Ma as we can help you qualify for the rebate you are entitled to. Thanks Bob
Real life with John Cowan and Newstalk ZB 730pm Sunday nights, John Cowan’s guest this Sunday night will be (27th March) will be world-class communicator, Rob Harley. Born and raised in Auckland, Rob has spent nearly 30 years working in TV news and current affairs. During that time, Rob has worked on many different programmes including Frontline and Assignment, as well as making several documentaries. Those documentaries have taken him to different countries all over the world including Cambodia, India, East Timor, Sudan and Kosovo.
Rob developed a series called Extreme Close Up, which ran on TV One for three seasons, featuring stories of people who had overcome adversity through personal faith and courage. He has created a raft of DVD resources for churches, starting with a series called Journeys, designed to spark in-depth conversation around faith. Rob has written numerous books including The Power of the Story, Brave, Mad and Memorable and The High Voltage Hedgehog.
He has also worked as a communication consultant lending his compelling storytelling expertise to companies struggling to keep up with the changing pace of media in the 21st century. Late last year, Rob came very close to dying. His unexpected but very welcome recovery has been described as miraculous. Join us this Sunday night to hear Rob’s incredible personal journey.
Supportive prayer for Christian Education Commission and Religious Instruction in NZ during April 2016 Dear friends and supporters,
The society in which we live today is not the same as it was 20, 10 or even 5 years ago. There is a huge increase in the numbers of people who now consider themselves to have no religious affiliation or identify themselves as being ‘secular’. As a result, there is significant opposition from a small, but determined, group of people to remove Religious Instruction from NZ state schools. Please join with us in prayer prior to, and during, the scheduled four day High Court Case starting on April 26th in Auckland. Although CEC have well-trained media and legal teams involved, we are seeking your prayer support for what will be a time of increased scrutiny and pressure on our organisation.
- Below are some suggested prayer points if you would like some structure and specifics:
- Pray for great wisdom for the lawyers preparing to present CEC's submission to the court
- Pray for fair media coverage of the Court Case and that the public can see the benefits for the continuation of the Religious Instruction in our country
- Pray for CEC’s media team – that they will have courage and clarity when dealing with questions from the media.
- Pray for the National Director Stephanie and Operations manager Dominic – that they will be able to think and act wisely whilst leading CEC through this period of increased scrutiny.
- Pray for the courageous support from those in favour of the continuation of Religious Instruction and that they will choose to speak up when the opportunities arise.
- Pray for the Schools Principals, Boards of Trustees, Parents and students during this time.
- Pray for the 2500 CEC colunteers who go into their schools each week to offer the CRE programme – that they will find renewed strength and enthusiasm in what can be a difficult season for some of them.
- Give thanks for the amazing privilege that we have of being able to open the Bible with over 60,000 children every week through the CRE programme, and that this may continue for many years to come.
STAYING SAFE : Good afternoon everyone,
The Health Promotion programme gets underway next month and the first course being held this year, is the mature driver refresher “Staying Safe” in Manurewa in a couple of weeks. Attached is a poster with more information and I have also attached the Autumn Calendar of Events. We have funding to hold 3 of Staying Safe courses: STAYING SAFE: This interactive driver education course for mature road users, involves the use of resources from Land Transport and a workbook for participants to keep.
- This off road course will cover 4 key themes:
- Keeping Safe (thinking about your safety)
- Being Safe (driver skills)
- Safe Journeys (managing road situations)
- Keep Moving Safely (alternatives to driving)
Time: 9.30am – 2.30pm
- Wednesday 6th April at Manurewa Baptist Church, 9 Lupton Road.
- Tuesday 14th June at Howick Presbyterian Church, 11 Vincent St, Howick. (In the café)
- Wednesday 3rd August at Franklin Baptist Church, 128 Victoria St, Pukekohe